• Question: what was your First ever experiment practical and did you think it was fun?

Asked by sodiumpolyacrylate to David, James, Mike, Suze, Will on 14 Jun 2011.
    • Photo: James Marrow

James Marrow answered on 14 Jun 2011:

First I can remember was at primary school, looking to see if different things would sink or float.

It was quite dull 🙁

We had a bowl of water, and some bits of plastic, metal and wood

Although I think Brainiac do it much better 🙂

• Photo: William Eborall

William Eborall answered on 14 Jun 2011:

My first practical at primary school was to see if you could work out how to connect a battery to a bulb to make it light up. At the age of 5 I thought this was quite fun.

In secondary school the first practical I did was to light a Bunsen burner and use it to boil some water – this I think you’ll agree was not fun.

• Photo: Suze Kundu

Suze Kundu answered on 14 Jun 2011:

My first practicals were all done in the bathroom sink from the age that I was old enough to climb onto the toilet seat cover to reach everything. My Mum wasn’t too impressed 😛 My experiments mostly involved adding one thing to another to see whether the colour would change. Most things ended up as a pale pink paste…

• Photo: Mike Dodd

Mike Dodd answered on 14 Jun 2011:

I’m trying to remember mine. When I was at primary school, we had to build a boat powered by elastic bands. I remember paper mache everywhere and PVA glue all over my hands. 1 lollypop sticks attached to the boat and the elastic band was run between this and another lollypop stick, that was used as a propeller when the band was twisted. We then went to the local swimming pool to try them out. This was used to show us the power stored in an elastic band and how a boat travels through the wtaer. It was great fun 🙂

• Photo: David Ingram

David Ingram answered on 14 Jun 2011:

I did a lot of fun science at Primary School and I can’t remember what we did first. We did make it rain on the teachers desk using a metal tray from the kitchen and a kettle! It was the teachers idea to fix the tray above the kettle so the steam condensed out and water dripped onto his desk. It was much more successful that he wanted and our spelling test papers got wet and the ink ran.

This was a fantastic outcome as I hated spelling tests!!!