Question: To All have any other family members been scientists before ? If so how many

1. Not that I know of. My mum was a school maths teacher and the later taught maths and stats at university – but she didn’t do any research.

0

2. None, although both my parents were primary school teachers. Before that, it’s mostly farmers and miners.

0

3. Nope. I’m the first member of my family that I know of to go to university.

0

4. That’s a fantastic question!

From my Mum’s side, no scientists. Well, a couple of mathematicians, but they’ve been sucked into the world of banking.

From my Dad’s side, one uncle was an astrophysics professor in the States, and a really good one at that. One uncle is an engineer, and one is a chemical engineering professor in Berlin. His son (my cousin) has done a PhD in Chemistry too! The engineer’s son (another cousin) has married a girl that did her PhD in environmental chemistry.

The weird this is that no one pushed anyone else to get into science, so maybe it’s in our genes! Someone should do a PhD on that…

Randomly, both my parents are economists, and I never went anywhere near economics, so maybe my theory has fallen at the first hurdle about it being genetic!

0

5. I’m the first. My brother is currently studying to be a biochemist in Bristol. I was the second person in extended family to go to university.

0

1. cheers to all
    🙂

0